The Mechanical Licensing Collective (The MLC) held its second Annual Membership Meeting this week, sharing key metrics from the last year and announcing that three current members of The MLC Board of Directors were each selected to serve a second three-year term on the Board. Their initial terms were slated to end this month.
In the year and a half since launching full operations, The MLC has met every milestone set by Congress in the Music Modernization Act of 2018 and successfully distributed nearly $700 million in blanket royalties to its Members. Highlights shared during the meeting by members of The MLC’s leadership team included the following key metrics:
- The MLC has collected almost $1 billion in mechanical royalties.
- As a result of The MLC’s efforts, rightsholders have received more than $800 million in royalties — nearly $700 million in blanket royalties distributed directly by The MLC and nearly $120 million in royalties (when valued at the statutory rates used by The MLC) processed by The MLC but paid by DSPs pursuant to voluntary licenses.
- The MLC’s current match rate for all royalties processed through September’s royalty distribution is 89 percent, while The MLC’s initial match rates for newly reported usage has exceeded 85 percent for six straight months.
- The MLC now has more than 22,000 Members, having added more than 6,000 to date in 2022.
- The MLC has received more than 17 million works registrations to date and has processed more than 98 percent of those registrations.
- The MLC has completed 19 monthly royalty distributions to date, every one of which has been completed on time or early.
More information on The MLC’s Board of Directors and Advisory Committees can be found here.