Guitar Mash has partnered up with City of New York Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment to launch the teen songwriting competition, #MyNYCSong. The competition gives young New York musicians a chance to show off their creativity, talent, and love for their hometown. Teen songwriters are invited to submit an original song about or inspired by any aspect of New York City that influences them, accompanied by a guitar or ukulele.
Beginning Aug. 9, applicants aged 13 through 19 that reside in the five boroughs are invited to submit their original song on the contest website, guitarmash.org/mynycsong. The grand prize winner will receive a professional recording session to memorialize their song, and the opportunity to perform live on November 19th as part of Guitar Mash at City Winery – an annual play-along, sing-along event featuring renowned guitarists and singer-songwriters – and will receive two VIP tickets for guests. Two runners-up will also receive recording sessions and VIP tickets to attend Guitar Mash at City Winery. Both the grand prize winner and the runners-up will receive a one-on-one mentoring session with Ben Lovett, co-founder and musician of Grammy award-winning band Mumford & Sons, and co-founder of Communion Music.
Teen songwriters from all backgrounds and skill levels are encouraged to submit their original song to the My NYC Song contest. All entries must include voice plus a guitar or ukulele, and can feature up to two people. Entries should be original compositions about or inspired by New York City, and should be no longer than five minutes in length. Entrants will need to submit an mp3 file of the song, along with a PDF file of the song lyrics.
- You must be 13-19 years old at time of entry and reside in New York City
- Entries must be received no later than October 5, 2017 @ 11:59pm (EST)
- This registration form (click here) must be completed and submitted along with your entry
- Winners will be announced on or around October 23, 2017
- Recorded entry must
- must include a guitar or ukulele, and your voice and can feature up to two people
- be no longer than five minutes in length
- be submitted as an mp3 file along with a PDF of song lyrics via the entry form
- be an original song about or inspired by NYC (neighborhoods, communities, etc)
Songs will be judged on the following criteria
- Appeal of the song concept and subject matter
- Overall quality of the song
- Interpretation of the New York City theme
The Prizes: Grand Prize Winner and 2 Finalists will receive..
- Professional recording session that will result in a digital recording of the winner’s song
- 2 VIP tickets to Guitar Mash at City Winery on November 19th, 2017
- One-on-one mentoring session with Ben Lovett, co-founder and musician of Grammy award-winning band Mumford & Sons, and co-founder of Communion Music.
- In addition the Grand Prize Winner will receive a performance spot at Guitar Mash at City Winery on November 19th, 2017 working in collaboration with Guitar Mash Artistic Director Mark Stewart.