Hot on the heels of a breakthrough inaugural season that delivered a series of consecutive No. 1 hit songs and amassing more than 12 million streams internationally to date – including one PLATINUM-certified single – CTV announced that casting for Season 2 of its hit original series THE LAUNCH is now open. Production of the CTV's original series, a new format that garnered an exclusive worldwide distribution deal with Sony Pictures Television (SPT), is set to begin filming once again in Toronto this coming fall for the 2018/19 Season.
Aspiring megastars can prep their auditions for this opportunity to work with some of the biggest names in music and to record a new original song written by some of the best songwriters in the world. The deadline for submission is Monday, June 11 at 11:59 PM ET. For all casting details and updates, including instructions on how to apply, fans can visit CTV.ca/TheLaunch and CTV Facebook Page.
"As THE LAUNCH continues to attract attention around the world, we're thrilled to be back in production with this unique Canadian format," said Randy Lennox, President, Bell Media and Executive Producer, THE LAUNCH. "We can't wait to discover the next group of hit-making artists in Season 2."
"As the media landscape continues to change ever so rapidly, some things never change as innovation, proof of concept, great talent, great songs and great story-telling are cornerstones to great opportunity and great entertainment," said Scott Borchetta, Founder/President/CEO of the Big Machine Label Group and co-creator and Executive Producer of THE LAUNCH. "The first season of THE LAUNCH provided all of that and more. I'm thrilled with the success of our very first season and can't wait to meet the next wave of incredible talent to take on Season 2 of THE LAUNCH!”
Among the 30 artists cast to appear in THE LAUNCH last season, the series’ six singles by chosen artists continue to hit the high notes with audiences across Canada and around the world:
- Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine’s “Ain’t Easy” was certified Platinum in Canada in early May and is still growing in popularity among listening audiences. The pop/jazz/hip-hop/R&B duo are slated to perform at the Sony Pictures Television Upfront event in Hollywood later this month.
- The first four singles from THE LAUNCH chosen artists (POESY’s “Soldier of Love”, Logan Staats “The Lucky Ones”, Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine’s “Ain’t Easy”, and The Static Shift’s “Wide Awake”) soared to No. 1 on iTunes Canada immediately following release.
- The sixth and final single “Giants” from 13-year-old Toronto resident Ethan Young vaulted into the Top 5 on iTunes’ pop chart and Top 10 in all genres following release, while Jayd Ink’s “Codes” debuted at No. 7 on iTunes’ pop chart.
- Breakout artists from Season 1 of THE LAUNCH have secured single representation deals with Big Machine Label Group, including Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine, The Static Shift, Logan Staats, POESY and Ethan Young
- In addition, Episode 1 shortlisted aspiring artist Vivian Hicks was officially signed to a development deal with Big Machine Label Group in April 2018, with artist Zack Lane also optioned to a single deal.
- All songs released have surpassed close to 12 million streams internationally to date.
In each stand-alone episode of THE LAUNCH, unsigned emerging artists audition for the opportunity to learn, record and perform their version of a new original song by a world-famous songwriter/producer. The artists are mentored by a panel of internationally renowned music industry legends, who then decide which version of the song will be released across the country immediately following the broadcast of the episode each week.