Open to Los Angeles area-based composers. If you are writing contemporary, classical concert music, you live and work primarily in Los Angeles, and you have not had a work presented by Hear Now in 2017 and 2018, you are eligible to submit a work in one of the following categories:
Acoustic chamber music
- No more than 8 players (fewer if possible)
- No more than 15 minutes in length.
- All combinations of voice, strings, woodwinds and brass will be available. We will have a piano.
- A small percussion setup is possible.
- In addition to the electronic element, 1-6 players can be used. The core ensemble for this concert consists of flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano and percussion (limited setup), though other instruments can be included as well.
- Electronics can be live or fixed media. In addition to other materials, a detailed description of technical requirements must be provided with the application.
- No more than 15 minutes in length
For all submissions, make sure that all files are ANONYMOUS. Non-anonymous submissions cannot be considered.
Please send the following NO LATER THAN OCTOBER 1 to email@example.com:
Please use the subject line: HEAR NOW SUBMISSION 2019
- ANONYMOUS Score in PDF format
- ANONYMOUS mp3 audio samples (MIDI acceptable). Please send files which do not show composer/performer/album info when opened in iTunes. Mp3 files without watermarks help us maintain anonymity. Please do not send links to recordings on websites such as SoundCloud, YouTube or your personal website
If your sound files are too large to be attached to an email please send them via Hightail or Dropbox, or a comparable email service.
FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS please also send the following confidential information in a separate email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line HEAR NOW SUBMISSION 2019 INFO. (Please send this information as regular email and not part of your Hightail, Dropbox, Yousendit, Wetransfer, etc. -- large file services, and from your usual email address.)
- The name of your piece
- your contact info, including home address
- any other (brief) information about the piece you would like to share (Will it be a premiere of any kind? Are there stand-alone movements? Recommended local musicians for difficult or thorny parts, etc.)
- Please include the statement: I agree to request and receive permission from all musicians performing my work for the Hear Now Music Festival before posting the recording publicly in any form.*
Submissions may have been performed before, and multi-movement works are acceptable. If you have any questions, please contact Hugh Levick or General Manager Heidi Lesemann at the above email address.
The 2019 Hear Now Music Festival will be held May 2, 3, 4, and 5, 2019. Performing ensembles include Lyris Quartet (founding ensemble of Hear Now) and Brightwork newmusic (ensemble-in-residence for the electroacoustic concert), plus other first-rate musicians in the Los Angeles area.
The review process is detailed on the website: hearnowmusicfestival.com.