POSITION SUMMARY: This position will manage the communications efforts for BMI’s Pop/Rock and R&B/Hip-Hop Creative teams by working closely with the senior executives and their teams to develop and execute proactive media relations campaigns supporting each division. This role will work directly with the Executive Director of Corporate Communication and contribute to the media relations efforts that support BMI by collaborating closely with the broader New York-based Corporate Communications and Marketing department to align PR, social media and advertising campaigns. As needed, support will also be given to the LA Media Relations lead on Latin or Film, TV & Visual Media NYC-based events.
LOCATION: New York, NY office. This position currently reports to the office (2) days per week and work remotely for (3) days a week. Effective February 28, 2022, this position will report to the NY office Monday-Thursday and work remotely on Fridays until further notice.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Essential Functions: This may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Oversee all media relations efforts for BMI’s Pop/Rock and R&B/Hip-Hop divisions, including communications and PR for all events such as award shows, festivals (ACL, Lollapalooza and SXSW, among others), panels, showcases and workshops.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with the key members of the media, including but not limited to reporters, editors, producers, bloggers and other influencers. Identify and foster relationships with new media partners to expand coverage. This includes keeping contact databases up to date.
- Draft press materials, including but not limited to proactive pitches, media alerts, press releases and photo captions.
- Collaborate with the Content Team and the Communications Associate on BMI’s The Weekly newsletter.
- Collaborate closely with the entire Corporate Communications department to support BMI’s overall press and marketing efforts, including:
- Collaborating with the Social Media team on cohesive PR and social plans to support events and executives for the Pop/Rock and R&B Hip/Hop divisions.
- Coordinating with the Design team on event collaterals such as invitations, step & repeats and flyers, as well as aligning PR strategies with advertising campaigns.
- Collaborating with the Content team on written materials and video projects for BMI.com, Music World and BMI’s The Weekly, including interview questions for BMI affiliates for red carpet events and award shows that support the Pop/Rock and R&B/Hip-Hop divisions
- Supporting the LA Media Relations lead (overseeing Latin and Film/TV divisions) on NY-based events.
- Travel will be required for festivals, showcases and events as directed by the Senior Vice President and/or Executive Director.
- Negotiate and budget for services by outside vendors for related events as needed.
- Regular attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Support our BMI Core Values and cultivate a culture of diversity and inclusion.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations or Communications from four year University or College (or equivalent) preferred.
Experience: Minimum three (3) years media relations experience. Music industry PR experience and/or PR agency experience a plus.