FAI is hosting Folk Unlocked, a five-day virtual event for the entire international folk community to come together for panels, workshops, showcases, affinity and peer group meetings, exhibit spaces, networking, and mentorship.
The Folk Alliance will host a space for community building and career development for everyone from the comfort and safety of their own home.
We hope to push the boundaries of what our community can achieve with technology, and though this means not every aspect of our typical annual conference will be able to exist in this format, we’re excited for this opportunity to initiate a new way of connection.
Programming will be interactive, whether live-streamed or pre-recorded, and recordings will be available for later viewing, allowing folks from around the globe to tune in when they can.
Admission to the fest will come via a donation to the fund.
· Los Lobos
· GRAMMY-winning zydeco artist Terrance Simien will perform; and, in a separate set, his daughter, Memphis’ Marcella Simien, will also play.
· GRAMMY-nominated Mississippi bluesman Cedric Burnside, son of the legendary RL Burnside
· Winner of NBC’s The Voice and singer-songwriter Sawyer Fredericks
· GRAMMY-winner Keb Mo
· Hit songwriting legend Jim Lauderdale
· All-female mariachi band and Latin Grammy winners Flor de Toloache
· Stars of the documentary film 20 Feet From Stardom the McCrary Sisters, who “seize and hold the spotlight,” according to the New York Times
· Veteran of Newport Folk Festival and Americana Music Award nominee and AAA #1 hitmaker Jade Bird
· “Stately. Ballads and choruses to shatter glass” (Pitchfork) of Katie Pruitt
· Americana Music Award Emerging Artist winners, the soul duo The War and Treaty
· North Carolina gospel family group Dedicated Men of Zion, fresh from their appearance on NPR Music x globalFEST.
· “Inspiring artist” (Ann Powers, NPR) Michaela Anne.
· AIR winner Emily Wurramara, a proud Indigenous performer from Groote Eylandt, Northern Territory.
· BBC Folk Awards nominee and Irish Music Magazine award winner Karan Casey.
More info at folk.org/unlocked