Aspiring musical theatre composers have the chance of a lifetime to work on their creation with Oscar-winning composer/lyricist Stephen Schwartz at one of the upcoming 2018 ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshops. Workshop submissions are now being accepted and will be considered for events that will take place in Los Angeles and New York. The deadline for submissions is Nov. 30.
The annual Workshops, presented in conjunction with Universal Theatrical Group, take place at The Wallis in Los Angeles on February 7 and 8, 2018, and in New York in the Spring of 2018 (details TBA). Led by Artistic Director Stephen Schwartz — the Tony, Oscar and Grammy Award-winning composer/lyricist whose numerous credits include the Broadway musicals Wicked, Godspell and Pippin, as well as the DreamWorks' film The Prince of Egypt, and Walt Disney films Enchanted, Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame — the program is composed of various workshop sessions featuring prominent guests from all aspects of musical theater including producers, directors, critics, performers and composers. Workshop alumni include Steven Lutvak (Tony award-winning A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder), Glenn Slater (Tony-nominated School of Rock), Matthew Sklar and Chad Beguelin (Elf).
The ASCAP Foundation Musical Theater Workshop sessions in Los Angeles on February 7 – 8 are open to the public. Tickets are free and will be available after January 1 at TheWallis.org.
Submissions for both the Los Angeles and New York workshops are now being accepted and if selected, attendees will have the option to participate in either city.
Writers interested in applying should submit the following:
- CD of four (4) songs from your musical
- Lyric sheets for each of the four songs
- A brief description of each song as to its plot placement
- A brief synopsis of the musical
- Biographical information for each composer, lyricist and book writer
- Contact information (including e-mail address, phone number and mailing address)
Send all completed submission packages to:
Michael A. Kerker
1900 Broadway, 7th Fl.
New York, NY 10023
ATTN: ASCAP Musical Theatre Workshop
Deadline: Submissions must be received in the ASCAP office by Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017.
- Applications for both the New York and Los Angeles Workshops must be sent to the New York address listed above.
- Please submit four (4) songs only. If you send a full recording, ASCAP will only listen to the first four (4) songs.
- Submissions do not need to be produced in a studio as we are looking for talent and potential, not production value.
- If your musical is selected, you will need to present 50 consecutive minutes at the workshop. The 50-minute selection must include book and song.
- Those who have been accepted to present material in the respective workshop will be contacted by December 31, 2017.
- Those invited to audit the workshop will receive an e-mail invitation.
- Please do not call to ask if you have been selected.
- Submissions will not be returned.
For further information about the ASCAP submission process, please call ASCAP at (212) 621-6234.