Qobuz, the first and only certified Hi-Res (24-bit/up to 192 kHz) streaming service, has publicly launched in the US. A hybrid streaming service and download store, Qobuz boasts approximately forty million CD-quality (16-bit) and millions of Hi-Res (24-bit/ 192 kHz) tracks, the largest available selection of Hi-Res streaming tracks anywhere.
The company hosted at the launch party where execs from tech companies, labels, and Qobuz friends/audiophiles mingled in the high-end Devialet space in SoHo, NYC while enjoying drinks and hor d'oeuvres.
Qobuz is poised to capitalize on the modern developments making high quality audio available to a fast-widening audience looking for a higher-level listening experience. Improvements in bandwidth speed and Internet infrastructure and the introduction of affordable speakers and audio equipment represent an accessibility tipping point in the growing high-end audio market.
Qobuz is on all app stores, and a summary of its features is below.
- Streaming in up to 24-bit/192 kHz true Hi-Res FLAC (about 29x the audio quality of MP3) with compatible gear.
- The option to stream and offline download an unlimited amount of music on all devices-including both mobile and desktop.
- A parallel Hi-Res download store with files for purchase allowing for options that flow substantial revenues back to creators- premium pricing for Hi-Res masters is a growth area for record labels.
- Exclusive, curated, and in-depth editorial content. Deep metadata, complete digital booklets, interactive articles, reviews, and playlists in-app on every platform.
- Library spans all genres, including specialist areas like jazz and classical
- Unique dynamic interface allows user-selected genre focus. Qobuz’ experts highlight music of interest based on user choices.
- Full Roon version 1.6 integration available.
Pricing plans are below:
- Sublime+: $299.99/year for full Hi-Res streaming and substantial (40-60%) discounts on purchases from the Qobuz Hi-Res (up to 24-bit / 192 kHz) download store.
- Studio: $24.99/month for unlimited Hi-Res (24-bit /up to 192 kHz) streaming ($249.99 annually).
- Hi-Fi: $19.99/month for streaming including 16-bit CD quality streaming ($199.99 annually).
- Premium: $9.99/month for 320 kbps MP3 quality streaming ($99.99 annually).
For more information, visit qobuz.com.
Photo credit: Anthony Collins