From the opening of Audio Engineering Month to the final week of livestream Technical Program and featured events, the Audio Engineering Society (AES) Show Fall 2020 Convention garnered support from attendees, presenters and exhibitors alike. In spite of the monumentally difficult task of taking the AES Show online, sessions from top industry professionals and showcases by leading partner brands flourished, drawing virtual crowds and interactions to a variety of presentations afforded by the new virtual format. Additionally, nearly all Technical Program sessions from the AES Show will remain online through the month of November, with Partner Showcase virtual booths, presentations and more remaining open through December 18, while registration remains open for those who choose to enjoy the AES Show at their own pace.
Nearly 4,400 AES Show attendees logged on from 70 countries to take in over 300 livestreamed sessions hosted by more than 600 presenters and panelists on all things audio, from workshops on the latest tools and techniques, to the Special Events series featuring FINNEAS, Jackson Browne and friends, Imogen Heap, Platinum Panel sessions and more (including the AES Show’s opening statement from New York State Lieutenant Governor Kathleen Hochul). Research papers and engineering briefs were also presented during the final week of the AES Show, perpetuating the scientific and educational insights that are hallmarks of AES Conventions and adding to the Audio Engineering Society’s seventy-plus years of research and applications archives.
The Audio Engineering Society announced the winners of this year’s AES Awards for distinguished achievement in the field of audio and service to the Society, presented during the Opening Ceremonies of the AES Show Fall 2020 Convention on October 27. The awards were presented in the online ceremony by AES President Agnieszka Roginska on behalf of Awards Committee Chair David Scheirman. The AES Show Opening Ceremonies are available on-demand for AES Show attendees at AESShow.com.
Awards presented at the AES Show Fall 2020 Convention include:
AES Board of Governors Award, given to Members rendering exceptional service to the Audio Engineering Society, presented to:
- Jorge Azama, for chairing the highly successful AES Latin American Conference in September 2019 in Lima, Perú
AES Honorary Membership Award, given to individuals of outstanding repute and eminence in the science of audio engineering or its allied arts, presented to:
- Imogen Heap, for outstanding contributions to the world of music and technology
- Karrie Keyes, for her leadership in creating opportunities for girls and women in the field of live sound
AES Fellowship Award, given to Members who have rendered conspicuous service or are recognized to have made a valuable contribution to the advancement in or dissemination of knowledge of audio engineering, or in the promotion of its application in practice, presented to:
- Peter Graham Craven, for decades of commitment to the growth and ongoing health of the professional audio industry and for unflagging advocacy for, and dedication to, the Audio Engineering Society
- Jackie Green, for contributions to the sciences of microphone design and manufacture, microphone performance measurement and to microphone and wireless mic system education
- Thomas Miller, for valuable contributions to the development of miniature transducer design
- Umberto Zanghieri, for his work advancing the application of audio design and digital interconnectivity and for extraordinary service to the Audio Engineering Society
Distinguished Service Award, awarded in recognition of extraordinary service to the Society over a period of years, presented to:
- Don Puluse, for his leadership of the AES Educational Foundation as its longtime President, securing and awarding opportunity to deserving AES Student Members
Complete AES Show Fall 2020 Convention Opening Ceremonies available here.