As Gene Simmons proclaims the death of rock and major labels divest their interests in the genre, one organization is growing and investing in some new rock out there.
Eleven Seven Music Group has been a force within rock with five artists in the Mediabase Active Rock charts at the end of 2014, multiple artists in the Billboard year end charts—mainstream rock songs, hard rock albums and rock airplay songs and a Pollstar top grossing rock tour of 2014. Eleven Seven has doubled down and formed a new rock label: Better Noise.
Better Noise will be ESMG’s avenue for new rock artists and will be included in the group’s distribution deal with Red/Sony in the U.S., ADA the E.U. Sony in Australia, Southeast Asia and South America as well as Universal in Canada and Japan.
“The important moves made by savvy industry leaders like Allen Kovac will create opportunities for positive traction within rock music in today’s industry landscape. The creation of Better Noise among the Eleven Seven team will help to pave the road for better music, making its way to more and more people and show how rock music can be a viable format and successful for both artists AND labels,” said Gregg Steele, VP Music Programming, SiriusXM.
Some familiar names will be among Better Noise’s staff. ESMG General Manager, Rose Slanic commented of the staff, “I am excited about this new venture. Going through the hiring process, I feel we have found a team of passionate radio, PR, digital, A&R and marketing folks, who will elevate their artists’ careers.”
The Better Noise team includes:
• Shanna Fischer, known for her prior work at Wind Up Records, will be heading up promotion for the newly formed imprint.
• Paul Cibrano, with experience in artist management, PR and marketing, will be responsible for marketing at the label.
• Casey Corrigan, most recently with Universal Music, will be the Publicity contact for Better Noise artists.
• AJ Kasen, previously with Lava Records, will be responsible for A&R at Better Noise.
• Harris Masood, previously with the NBA, will be Director of Finance for the label.
• Anthony Doring worked in promotion with Steve Kline and in digital media at ESMG prior to joining the digital team at Better Noise, working on opportunities with music streaming platforms.
• Alexandra Comito, previously at Cornerstone Agency, will be Director of Digital Marketing at Better Noise.
• Jason Burger, who has worked in International marketing and production at ESMG, will be Director of Label Operations and Production for Better Noise.
• Dina Rendsburg will be the Label Coordinator for Better Noise.
ESMG CEO Allen Kovac welcomes Better Noise, “ It's a thrill to have the opportunity to continue to increase job opportunities in the rock music industry. I am thrilled to work with Rose and the team on upcoming releases. The label’s first release will be Shadowmaker from Apocalyptica, coming out on April 21. Albums from Art Of Dying, From Ashes To New and Deuce are among what is expected this year.”
The Better Noise staff is equally excited about the collaboration. Fischer said, "The ESMG team has always been known for a strong commitment to the rock genre and enthusiasm for great music. Better Noise has a great lineup of releases that are right in the pocket for our radio partners. I can't wait to get started!"
“Working for a company that has such continuous growth in a shrinking industry is remarkable and exciting,” added Cibrano. “There is some great music coming down the pipeline for Better Noise Records that’s going to change the industry landscape.”
For additional information, contact Jamie Roberts of Eleven Seven Music Group, firstname.lastname@example.org.